Saturday, June 18, 2005

8 in 8: Day 2

Hi there. So, today is Day 2 of my goal to drop eight pounds in eight weeks, so that I might embrace my thirtieth birthday feeling healthier, fitter, and less mopey than I would otherwise. Good idea, no?

As promised, here's what the scale at my new gym said I weighed yesterday:

130.5

Yeah, that seemed low to me, too. The last few times I went to the doctor's office, it was more like 134-ish. Hell, even S (cautiously) guessed "138" last night, when I decided to come clean with the number. (I'd never told him my weight, ever. It's just not something I normally go around broadcasting. Naturally, he was frightened to hazard a guess. I think he expected some sort of tearful overreaction on my part...and wondered aloud whether I'd be more offended by a too-high guess or a too-low one. I wasn't sure, but I was impressed that his number, while high, was more or less "in the ballpark," so to speak. And I didn't have any emotional response whatsoever to his guess.) Maybe the low number was a result of my not having eaten since lunch, which, by the time I weighed myself, had come and gone six hours ago. Maybe I was also dehydrated? Working in an over-air-conditioned office will do that to you.

I'm about to head out to the drugstore, and while I'm there I might pick up a scale. If I do, I'll weigh myself again and report any discrepancy in numbers between the new and old scales.

I hope I'm not displaying tacky exhibitionist tendencies, here, by sharing my numbers with you. I hope it's not unseemly. I'm normally sort of modest to a fault about this type of thing, I think. This feels a little grotesque, to tell you the truth.

Oh! Another thing. Each time I go to the gym, I deposit five bucks into my new online savings account, set up specifically for this purpose. (I recommend the ING Direct Orange Savings Account, by the way. It's currently paying 3.00% interest. Not too shabby!) Anyway, each time I work out I get five bucks, until I have enough dough saved to buy an MP3 player. It sucks not having music to listen to in the gym. I think this little incentive plan just might work! As S will quickly confirm if you ask him, I've been lusting after MP3 players for some time now. I want one SO BAD.

No comments: