Tuesday, June 21, 2005

TomKat Repels Me

I'm so grossed out by Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Seriously. There's just something so unnatural about their weird-ass, sped-up, overly publicized, creepily intense relationship. I found this on Fametracker, and really, I couldn't have said it better.

Sigh.

"TomKat." Please.


Did you know I was once an extra on Dawson's Creek? This was back in the day, when S was interning for the show down in Wilmington, NC. S did an excellent and hilarious job of placing me oh-so-conspicuously in nearly every scene; if you were to see the episode (I should find out which number it is), you would laugh at the Where's Waldo quality of my frequent appearances. "Hey, there she is walking on the sidewalk! And now she's at a table in the restaurant! Oh, here she comes out the door of the university classroom!" etc. I'm everywhere in that episode, and it's a damn funny sight. And the thing is, this was years ago, maybe six or seven years, even, and I remember thinking the cast and most of the crew were really cool and friendly (with the exception of the props woman who gave me the ol' Evil Eye when I accidentally walked off a set with the notebook or whatever it was I had been holding), Katie Holmes included. I think maybe they're being in laid-back, small-townish Wilmington rather than dog-eat-dog LA had something to do with it. But I think it was also a matter of Dawson's Creek being this cool, kind of smart WB show starring a bunch of fresh unknowns. And now, here we are bunches of years later, and we've got a raw, chapped kissy-mouthed, overexposed "Kate" Holmes devoting herself both to Tom Freaking Cruise and his crazy Scientology. And he's so effing weird and manic, and she's sixteen years his junior, and it's all just unsettling. I don't like it.

I know I shouldn't care. But, tragically, I find myself irresistibly drawn to celebrity goings-on. More so now that I live in LA, where I actually see big-time celebs out and about fairly often. (Most recent sighting: James Spader at Westside Pavilion mall, with a woman (his wife?) and a child (theirs?). He was wearing a Panama hat, and he was short and a bit stocky.)

OK then. Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who is James Spader? Mom