Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Boo-hooing my way through the tough times

I am a crier. Always have been. When I'm sad, I cry. When I'm overjoyed, I cry. When I'm upset, I cry. When I'm hugely disappointed, I cry. When I'm very angry, I cry. (That last one drives me nuts, though. Sometimes crying when I'm angry makes me feel like a bit of a loser. But I can't help it! The tears, they have minds of their own, and when those tears are ready to spring forth and course down my cheeks, there is no stopping them.)

When friends or acquaintances or whomever tell me they "never cry," or that they "can't remember the last time" they cried, I am amazed. I believe them, because I know that some of us are criers and some of us just aren't, but still, I am awe-struck by the non-criers. I wonder, How is their emotion released? Or, is it simply that non-criers are less emotional, less dramatic than us criers, so they don't cry because they aren't provoked to do so?

I wonder.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I cry a LOT too. Judging from my husband, I think the non-criers just yell/fume when they're upset...

I'm with you, though; there's nothing like bawling in the middle of an argument to make you look like you can't stand your ground. Extra points if the person thinks you're crying on purpose to manipulate them!