Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas wrap-up

Oh, man. There's SO much I'm itching to post about right now! However, I feel compelled first of all to do a Christmas summary for those of you wondering how the holiday played out for our little family of three.

First of all, and not to stick it to anyone currently hanging out in colder climes, but the weather this week has been GORGEOUS here. Monday and Tuesday were downright balmy---so sunny and warm and clear, with a slight breeze. No jacket required! (Apologies to Phil Collins.)
Secondly, having S home for four days in a row was special and fun. He got a ton of quality time with his daughter, which we all enjoyed.

Now then, let's cut to the sequence of events:
1. Christmas Eve: S took Maya to the playground, and I made a quick run to IKEA during Maya's nap. Attention IKEA lovers: IKEA is damn near empty on Christmas Eve! Please take note! I zipped in and zipped out (to the extent that one can "zip in and zip out" of a ginormous, three-level, labyrinth of a retail outlet), Maya's rocker toy was in stock (and only $10, people! TEN DOLLARS.), and the SoCal freeways to and fro were unusually free of traffic. The entire trip took just over an hour from start to finish. Yee-haw!
2. Christmas Eve continued: After Maya's nap, she and I decorated cookies together, which is a tradition I hope to continue until Maya loses interest. (At which point I'll resort to bribing: "Maya, you can take my credit card and car to the mall today! Just as soon as you help me decorate these cookies. That's the deal. Hey! Get back here with those car keys, young lady, and start spreading frosting!") Maya took her frosting-spreading and sprinkle-shaking tasks oh-so-seriously, and a good time was had by all, including Daddy, who videotaped the whole thing. Afterward, we all ate delicious tacos from the Mexican restaurant up the street.
3. Christmas Eve, the conclusion: S and I capped off the day by watching a Tivoed episode of "The Amazing Race" by the glow of the Christmas-tree lights. Right before turning in, I wrapped S's stocking gifts (Gold Bond medicated powder! Right Guard deodorant! Q-tips!!!!!) while he set Maya's new tricycle up beneath the tree and walled it in with Maya's new cardboard blocks. (Thanks, Gram and Pop-Pop!) Photo to come!
4. Christmas morning: Maya woke at 8:30, and we excitedly carried her out to the living room where she immediately noticed her new toys. After giving her her milk, we turned her loose to explore Santa's bounty. She loooved busting through the blocks and was even happier to find a "bicycle" (as she calls it) hiding behind them. Much tricycle-riding, unwrapping, and block-building ensued, followed by a late breakfast of cinnamon buns and chicken-apple sausage (thanks, Trader Joe's). I must note here that Maya utterly snubbed the cinnamon bun (even after we fibbed and called it a bagel in a last-ditch attempt to get her to try it) but consumed her weight in sausage. That kid is going to grow a casing any minute now, I swear.
5. My god, are you still reading this? Sorry. I have never been good at summarizing. I have trouble editing out the details. Obviously. The rest of Christmas day was spent calling family, lounging around, eating, and watching various Christmas specials on TV. Our meal was cranberry-stuffing-stuffed turkey breast (additional thanks to Trader Joe's), mashed sweet potatoes, oven-roasted kale (holy god that was delicious), green salad, and pumpkin pie. Maya napped through the whole thing and was totally unimpressed by it later, when we tried to offer her some for a late lunch after her nap. Also, I didn't change out of my pajamas till 3:30. A-hem. In the late afternoon, we pushed Maya in her new tricycle to the playground and goofed around a bit.

There you have it! Now I'm at work today (boooooooooooooo, hisssssssss), and so is S, and Maya is home being babysat by one of her preschool teachers. As I was leaving the apartment this morning, Maya was crying. I can understand her disappointment and confusion. After four lazy days at home with both Mommy and Daddy, this sucks!

I agree, Maya.
:-(

No comments: