Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hold onto your hats

From today's weather report in the LA Times:

Sunny. Highs around 60. From Leo Carrillo to the Hollywood Hills...north winds
20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph through and below canyons. Winds decreasing to
15 to 30 mph in the afternoon.

Um, yeah. It is awfully windy here today. Last night was so windy ("gusty" is a better word), our windows rattled in their frames, our building creaked, the neighbors' wind chimes produced a nonstop, frenzied, cacophony, and our cats expressed their agitation by crying off and on during the early-morning hours.
The wind woke me up several times in the night. I find high, gusty winds quite unnerving. They're loud and violent, and they make going outside an unpleasant experience, to say the least. They also cause branches to snap and boughs to fall on people's cars and homes. And they wreak havoc with traffic lights and satellite television. They give me the impression that the weather is out of control and dangerous, and they make me anxious.
Back home, where I grew up in the Northeast, high winds usually preceded a thunderstorm. I loooved thunderstorms, so I loooved the gusty wind that came before them, because I knew what those winds meant. Also, those winds had a forseeable endpoint. These SoCal winds go on and on, with no rewarding thunderstorms at the end.
I should've known that the glee I was feeling because of our lovely Christmas weather would be short-lived!
Oh, well. It's still sunny out, and I do love that sun...



2 comments:

Jenni said...

Woohoo! Wind is fun! A couple times a year, usually, we have freezing rain with high winds. It was always hilarious as a teenager to leave for school in the morning after one of these storms and see my family's basketball hoop, the net frozen completely sideways. Makes me smile just thinking about it!

Enjoy your warm winter! My husband is freezing to death and threatening to move us to Cali...

Jenni said...

On the home remedy - I don't think it tastes disgusting at all. The garlic is... surprising at first, but easy to adjust to. Just be sure to add plenty of honey! I can't stomach tea, but I can drink this just fine!