Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Resolve

I so love New Year's resolutions! I jump on any excuse to reflect on my current situation and consider how it might be improved. Also, I've always been in love with the idea of "starting fresh." Granted, I'm not great on the follow-through. I'm a little lazy, and I procrastinate, and I feel tempted to quit when I feel I'm not succeeding. However, those fairly huge obstacles don't stop me from trying in the first place, so at least I can give myself credit for that. (Right?!)

I haven't crystallized my resolutions for '08 yet, but I've been brainstorming. Here are the ideas I'm batting around so far.

  1. Empty the dishwasher within 24 hours of running it. Duh. I realize most people do this already. I am not most people, and, as a result, we tend to have a sink perpetually full of dirties and a dishwasher-as-storage problem in my household. Sigh. I am pleased to report, though, that I've already begun acting on this resolution and have had success so far.
  2. Always be enrolled in either a dance or yoga class. I'm on hiatus from my tap lessons and am about to sign up for a yoga class offered by the city, so progress is already being made on this front as well.
  3. Go to the gym on most Mondays, Fridays, and weekends.
  4. Eat five fruits and vegetables per day. I embarked on this goal once already, back when I first read The Okinawa Program, a book I just can't recommend highly enough. (If you're interested in science-based overall health, this book is for you.) Back in 2005 I was doing pretty well with this plan until I got pregnant, and then all hell broke loose and egg-salad sandwiches and processed cheeses replaced lettuce and grapes. Time to try, try again!
  5. Continually remind myself to be patient, firm, and loving with Maya.
  6. Teach Maya table manners. (An uphill battle, this one. Yeesh.)

I also like some of the practical, useful, and research-based resolution suggestions offered on the New York Times's Well blog this week---especially the whole splitting-an-entree thing.

Anyway, what do you think? Am I off to a good start here? I feel like I'd also like to choose some reading selections for '08, and set some goals for my emotional health as well. Of course, it's easier to funnel one's willpower into one or two specific goals rather than, say, a dozen of them, so I guess I'd better be careful not to overreach!

No comments: