Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Clinton or Obama?

Let's talk politics briefly, shall we?
I was disappointed to learn that John Edwards dropped out of the presidential race this morning. I liked his populist spirit and his focus on alleviating poverty. However, I very much like the remaining Democratic frontrunners, HRC and BO, and hadn't preferred one over the other until I read this week's New York Times editorial endorsing Clinton. I think the Times makes a convincing argument for Clinton, mainly that she talks not only of general ideas but in terms of specific policy and details. For instance, and as we all know, she has very specific ideas about health care in this country, and she's been tweaking and adjusting her ideas over the years as she learns more about the challenges of writing policy that just about everyone can agree on.
Also, as the Times pointed out, Clinton is well-known and respected among world leaders. I think this is important---super important, actually---now that the U.S. is so poorly regarded in the international community.
Of course, I like Barack Obama, too (as does the Times). If he were to win the Democratic nomination, I wouldn't mind. I like his optimism and his reluctance to jump shoulder-high into the political fray. I just agree with the Times that Clinton's experience in Washington, her understanding of policy, her formidable international image, and frankly, her gigantic brain, make her the best candidate overall.
Anyone agree? Disagree? Wish this post were about anything other than politics?

No comments: