Tuesday, November 13, 2007

All about Maya


Hello. My post today is a cross-post from my Mayalstones blog. Warning: It is filled with the minutiae of Maya's day-to-day development and goings-on. I can't help it. I'm a proud mama.

Maya turns 20 months in three days! This morning at work, a coworker visited with her 11-week old newborn daughter, and I was struck by how little and helpless and immobile the baby was. (It was all perfectly normal newborn behavior, of course!) I can hardly remember when Maya was that teeny and new---it's so weird how you forget ages and stages as the child gets bigger and older and more capable. I wish I'd begun the Mayalstones blog back when she was a day old! Of course, I could barely drag my exhausted, fresh-from-delivery self to the shower back then, much less to the computer, so I guess I can forgive myself. Now then, here's what's new in Mayaworld:
Maya's bronchitis seems to be gradually receding, thanks to the Horrid Pink Meds we've been forcing on her twice per day. Actually, we no longer have to force the Amoxicillin on her; she's pretty OK with willingly taking it, so long as we clap and cheer and do high-fives after each swallow. I also mime that I'm taking the medicine first, and she seems to enjoy watching Mommy put the syringe to her lips and fake-push the plunger. Whatever works, right?!
Maya's language development continues to grow. She's picked up a few little phrases, including, "Thank you, Mommy!" (no matter whom she's thanking), "What doing?" and "Where going?" She also communicates what she's seeing more and more frequently. For instance, she'll point to Toonces sleeping on our bed and say, "night night, baby." (Not sure why "baby" instead of "kitty cat," but we get the idea.) She looooves pointing out dirt on the kitchen floor. A-hem. She asks questions, such as "Pat?" while looking at one of the cats, as in, "May I please pat Ndugu?" She asks to watch "Bump baby high" about three dozen times per day, which is Mayaspeak for our Sesame Street Beginnings "Make Music Together" DVD. (Her favorite segment is the one where Baby Elmo is bouncing on his daddy's lap. Part of the song goes, "Bump-bump baby high! Bump-bump baby low.") We try to avoid turning on the television until the afternoon, which does not stop Maya from asking for it all morning long. I am also thrilled to report that Maya also asks to hear the song from the Sound of Music soundtrack that goes, "Doe, a deer, a female deer..." many many times during the day, too! She can sing a LOT of it. Like this: "Doe...deer...deer. Ray...suuuuuuuuuun. Me...name...seff. Fa...run!"The kid LOVES TO SING. She does some songs from school that we don't recognize. Something about Jesus and a boat, I think? Another one about elephants.
Last time we were at the doctor's office, Maya weighed in at 22 pounds. She's still petite, but she doesn't look unhealty or out of proportion or anything. She has a very tiny waist, and I think she's just small-boned. Her hair is at her shoulders, and we still haven't cut her any bangs. I'm feeling sort of anti-bangs right now, so I just pull her hair back in a little half ponytail each day---or sometimes pigtails. Her hair is wavy (like her mom's and dad's).
We're having some sleep issues these days and are trying to get through them as a family. S and I are looking for and testing out some creative solutions, trying to find the right approach for Maya and ourselves. Please wish us luck! None of us handles sleep deprivation well. At all.

No comments: