Sunday, November 18, 2007

Easily amused

Today S, Maya, and I spent way too much time watching old Sesame Street segments on YouTube. Maya's favorite characters are the ubiquitous Elmo, compulsive-eater Cookie Monster, and the Count, a happy puppet for children inspired by Count Dracula, a sinister blood-sucking vampire. (Interesting choice, Jim Henson! But I like it, I like it.)
I'd forgotten that the Count used to have more hair. (I guess he, like other men, balds as he ages.) He was my favorite as a kid, I think because I found him slightly scary and therefore quite thrilling. I distinctly remember loving that "Bats in my belfry" song and feeling spooked by it at the same time.
Here are S and Maya watching the Count count apples, with Cookie Monster surreptitiously snatching each one and eating it after it's been counted:

G'night!

1 comment:

me said...

The count was definitely my favorite. I love Sesame Street. I always thought Oscar the Grouch was adorable. Even though he was Grouchy I thought he was funny and very often had a point. This explains a lot. I have to write about this...