Saturday, November 03, 2007

Happy Feet, Part 3

The summer tap class I was taking ended in September; now I'm taking the Fall-quarter Saturday tap class, which is a Beginner class. It probably would have made more sense to continue taking an Intermediate/Advanced class, but it's now on Wednesday evenings at 6:00, and I'm usually right in the middle of my evening commute at that time.
So, I'm taking the Beginner class...and it's great! I can focus on refining my technique instead of scrambling to memorize complicated choreography. (Not that I don't enjoy the challenge of memorizing a tricky routine. I do. I like getting a mental workout as well as a physical one.) As a "beginner," I feel that I'm benefiting from the teacher's focus on showing us individual steps and combinations that we practice over and over again until we've got (almost) every nuance correct. And we're doing a lot of "across the floor" work, which is fun and good exercise. Often, the teacher puts on this funky instrumental song by Prince, and off we go down the floor.
We're also learning choreography to "Boogie Shoes," a song that everyone but me seems to recognize and love. It's got sort of a funk-meets-disco sound, and I'm guessing it's from the 70s...? I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, it's a fun, easy routine with quite a bit of repetition, so memorizing it is not strenuous like memorizing the choreography to "Watermelon Man" was.
I was talking with my parents tonight on the phone about my tap class, and they were asking me about why I love tap so much. I told them I think it's because tap is mostly about rhythm and sound, and much less about flexibility, for example, than say, ballet. Anyone with a sense of rhythm and some balance could learn some tap steps. Also, it just seems a little more relaxed and casual than, again, ballet (or even jazz). I loooooove watching ballet, but I'm not particularly interested in dancing it myself. There are just so many rules! And I'm not into embarking on something I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be particularly good at. Ballet is HARD. (I took it for two or three years as a child.) It's even physically painful! It's beautiful and elegant and wonderful to watch, but I won't be donning pale pink tights and a leotard anytime soon.
S keeps asking me if I'll continue tap indefinitely, or if I'll take some other dance classes. I have wanted to try hip-hop for many years, but I have had trouble locating studios in the L.A. area that offer it to adults for purposes of fun and recreation. (I've found that many hip-hop classes out here are for actors who want to add the skill of hip-hop dancing to their resumes.)
I've also thought about trying swing, though I know that it's really hard. (Maybe I'm just too old!)
So, I don't know. I think the important thing is that I continue dancing. It makes me happy and takes my mind off my worries. It gets my blood moving, and it allows me to express the joy that music brings me.

No comments: