Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I failed, and here are my excuses

Well, as is obvious by my three days' worth of missing posts, I've failed the NaBloPoMo challenge. On one hand, I am crushed, ashamed, and disappointed, because I'm not someone who even bothers to start things I know I won't complete. Once I've set my mind to something, I really keep the pressure on myself to finish. So, as my therapist would say, my failure to post for three days this month is "not in line with my integrity," and it makes me feel crappy.
On the other hand, I am comfortable with the fact that the three days I didn't post were full of real-world obstacles and challenges that wore me down and kept me utterly occupied with more pressing matters till the wee hours---and on East Coast time, no less! I won't go into these events in detail, but one of them---seeing my Grandma George, who is 95 and currently unresponsive, immobile, and dying (under the care of Hospice) in her nursing home---was deeply disturbing, emotionally painful, and life-changing. Another major factor in my no-post record was Maya, who vomited lustily three times during our trip (including once in a restaurant and once on the plane ride home), which sent me into frantic cycles of toddler-comforting, toddler-bathing, clothes-washing, linens-washing, and anxiety. (We still don't know why she was puking, and we have no idea if it's over or if she'll puke again two minutes from now.)
Add to that my parents' dial-up connection and slow-arse computer, which kept seizing up on me the nights I did post, and you get a recipe for no NaBlo.
So, yes, I realize I'm giving excuses. But they are valid, and I guess I feel I have to write them here if I ever hope to get over the feeling that I'm a big fat failure.
But, on the bright side, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to finish my daily posts for the remainder of the month, now that I'm back home. Wish me luck!
Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

No comments: