Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This and that

I was going to do a Wordless Wednesday and post only a photo tonight, but I don't think "wordless" is my style! I'm too much of a yapper; I've got too much to say.
First, to wrap up a loose end: I've spoken twice now with our pediatrician about the toy of Maya's that tested positive for lead. She is still declining to test Maya's lead levels, citing the fact that Maya's health and development seem normal. She believes I should not worry, and she doesn't believe any action is warranted beyond confiscating the toy. She and another doctor in the practice, with whom I'm also communicating, are being perfectly civil and patient and professional in their dealings with me, but I just don't feel comfortable accepting their opinion that Maya's blood doesn't need testing. So, tomorrow I'm going to call my physician, who also sees pediatric patients, and explain that I'd really like to get Maya's lead levels checked but that my pediatrician is declining to do so, and I'll ask if she or some other doctor in her practice would be willing to do it. We'll see what happens.
Tell me: Am I being unreasonable? Neurotic? Obsessive? You can be honest. Seriously. I'm in therapy for anxiety issues, after all! S believes that doctors know what they're talking about and that their opinions should be respected. He's not stopping me from pursuing this blood test, but if it were up to him, he'd skip it.
Would you? I need some outside perspective.
---
Yesterday morning, the oddest thing happened. Another car and mine drove essentially side by side for the vast majority of my commute to work---like, many miles' worth---and then, we turned into the same parking garage. And then, we ended up riding the elevator together in my work building up to our respective offices! It was weird. On the elevator, I was thinking, "That's him! That's the guy! We drove all the way here together, from Playa del Rey!" I tried and tried to work up the nerve to strike up a conversation ("Hey, aren't you the guy driving the dark green VW Golf?"), but I chickened out. I think, though, that he recognized me, too. He kept looking at me, and when I exited the elevator, he said a friendly, "Have a nice day!" It was just weird that in this huge, sprawling city, something like that would happen. I'm just irked that I let my shyness get the best of me. Who knows, I could've made a new friend!
---
My boss at work had to put his eldest cat down today. He came into work late and seemed so down and quiet. He and his wife have (well, had) five cats, and this one was 20 years old and quite sick. Five cats! I admire them for taking in and caring for so many animals, a few of which have health problems. Lord knows I can barely manage my two freaky felines---I can't imagine five. Anyway, this guy, my boss, has had a rough year. His father passed away, and he's been spending a lot of time with his mother, who has full-blown Alzheimer's. It just didn't seem fair that, on top of all of those things, he had to lose a pet. The amazing thing is, he just keeps coming to work every day, and getting things done. I admire his ability to compartmentalize. I find that very, very difficult to do myself.
---
In one week and one day, my little family and I will be heading back east to chilly upstate NY, to spend Thanksgiving with my parents. I'm looking forward to lazing around their large house; watching Maya romp in their backyard, which is like a football field in comparison to our teeny patch of grass; eating the usual Watson-family Thanksgiving staples (hooray for baked squash with marshmallows!); and visiting Indian Ladders, an apple orchard that makes RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS (and perfectly greasy) apple-cider donuts. Mmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apple-cider donuts? Who knew such delights existed? Mmmm.

As for lead worries: In my inexperienced opinion, it can't hurt to get another medical opinion, right? Mama's instinct and all that. And it sounds like talking with your own doctor, whom you trust, would go a long way toward putting your mind at ease.

In the meantime, it's good news that the pediatrician and her colleague didn't seem phased by the lead-test result--because, hopefully, they're right, and there's nothing to worry about. Also wonderful that Maya isn't symptomatic, according to the pediatrician. It's so terrible that these toy makers were so negligent!

Mo said...

Ann, you really are the sweetest person alive. Thank you for caring! Looking forward to seeing you soon...

Jenni said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog! I just wanted to say that you are NOT being unreasonable at all about the lead thing. Maybe her levels are high, maybe they're fine (probably!), but doing the cautious thing won't hurt. As for trusting doctors, the more I do research to help me make medical decisions for Ariel, the more I realize that doctor's often have no idea what they're talking about. Science changes fast after they leave med school, and unless they make a point to stay up-to-date, you could learn more searching the web than they know! Just my two cents... I've finally realized that being a mom includes taking responsibility for Ariel's health care, instead of trying to pass it off to the doctor out of fear, as I have tended to do in the past. It's a very empowering choice to make.